Head of Primary – Qatar International School, Doha
Dates: Apply by 26/01/2018. Job start August 2018
Location: Doha, Qatar
Contract type: Full Time
Contract term: Fixed Term (Initial 2 year contract)
This is an exciting opportunity to join our wonderful school and help us on our journey to achieve our ambitious vision. After 2 successful years, our current Head of Primary is moving on to new challenges and so we are searching for an outstanding leader to join our experienced, talented and supportive team.
QIS is one of the premier schools in Qatar, well known locally for providing high quality learning. We are a full member of the BSME and in the last few years the school has established an outstanding reputation for delivering British Education in a creative and engaging style. This has led to the school becoming hugely popular and massively oversubscribed.
In 2016, following a 5 day inspection, we were accredited for 5 years by the Ministry of Education and Higher Education in Qatar, the highest possible award nationally. In 2017 we followed this up with an excellent BSO inspection and full accreditation. We firmly believe that continuous professional development is at the heart of good teaching and so we offer a range of relevant and creative training opportunities to all staff. These are now enhanced by our status as the only OLEVI International Facilitation School in the Middle East, offering fully certified international training courses for teachers and educational staff. We also host and offer training courses for the BSME, further demonstrating our commitment to the vision of becoming the world’s first International Teaching School.
We pride ourselves on maintaining the closest possible links with best practice in the UK and through collaboration with the Department for International Trade we are working towards providing further teacher training opportunities in the future. For a number of years our staff have both taken part in and provided workshops and training for the internationally renowned WISE Summit as well as other national training events. We have hosted world famous speakers such as Sir John Jones, who inspired us to ‘weave magic’ in the world of teaching and learning here in the Gulf.
Our purpose built primary school has 6 forms of entry, from nursery through to Year 6, and we currently facilitate the learning for over 1,000 fantastic students, in classes of 22. Over 60 different nationalities are represented in the school making us truly international and we love to celebrate the vibrancy that brings to our community. The current Primary Leadership Team comprises 2 Deputy Heads, 1 Assistant Head, SENCo and an additional colleague but this will be restructured around the successful candidate.
From Reception onwards our excellent class teachers are all UK trained, as a minimum requirement, and they are supported by 24 teaching assistants. The National Curriculum for England is adapted by ourselves to support our context and we also deliver some local curriculum in support of Qatar’s Ministry of Education requirements.
We are passionately committed to providing every pupil with the best education possible through interesting and engaging learning. The school is constantly striving to be the best and we expect and support this aspiration in our staff and students. Our examination results and PISA scores place us well above UK averages and also similar schools internationally but above all this QIS is simply a very special school and a wonderful place to work and learn.
What we offer
Our generous remuneration package includes:
- Competitive tax free salary
- Fully furnished, high quality, modern accommodation
- Utilities allowance
- International medical insurance
- Annual return flights to home country
- Travel allowance
- Continuing professional development
- Free tuition for up to 2 children
- Freight allowance
- End of service gratuity and enhanced gratuity for 5 + years of service
- Comprehensive induction programme
What we are looking for
Please examine closely the School Vision, Person Specification and Job Description
The deadline for application is 25th January 2018. Initial interviews will be conducted by telephone and/or SKYPE.
Candidates should note that QIS reserves the right to make an earlier appointment, if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible opportunity.
How to apply
Interested parties should submit the following, addressed to the Principal, Mr Deane Baker:
- Letter of Application: 2 pages maximum
No more than 1 side of A4 explaining how you will support the Principal in leading the Primary School to achieve the QIS vision
No more than 1 side of A4 explaining what your ideas are for making QIS one of the best British International Schools in the world
- CV (maximum of three pages – to include family details)
- A recent photo
- A list of at least three referees – the list should include their names, positions, current email addresses and phone number. One of your referees must be from your present school or employer
Please send your application to recruitment @qis.org including the following information for VISA purposes
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Your Nationality
- If applicable the Nationality of your Wife/Husband/ Nationality of your children
PRIMARY SCHOOL HEADTEACHER: PERSON SPECIFICATION
The successful candidate will be an outstanding lead learner who shows an unswerving commitment to improving children’s education. In addition, this person must be able to subscribe wholeheartedly to the school’s vision and make a significant contribution to our continuing journey. The candidate will ideally also possess or exhibit many or all of the following:
|· First degree.
· Qualified teacher status.
· A continued commitment to own professional development.
· Experience of child-safeguarding issues and successful use of measures that promote and ensure the safe-guarding of
· a proven track record of successful senior leadership in a British school (Deputy or Headteacher)
· recent knowledge and experience of the English education system and National Curriculum
· the passion to inspire, motivate and develop all staff and students to reach beyond their potential
· strategic leadership abilities to evaluate, consolidate and move the school forward
· the ability to use up to date best policy and practice
· a proven track record of building successful teams.
· knowledge and experience with curriculum development, timetabling, financial management and community relations.
· a genuine passion for learning
· cultural sensitivity
· excellent communication skills
· high standards of professionalism, integrity and trust
· a sense of humour
· Relevant further degree.
· Further relevant professional studies.
· Experience of more than one school/academy
|Position||Primary Head Teacher||Department||Primary|
|Line Manager||Principal||Pay Scale|
|Line Management Responsibilities||Primary Leadership Team (PLT)|
To provide clear, effective and strategic leadership to the Primary School
To support the Principal in realising the School’s vision
To be a role model for colleagues and students by ensuring a professional approach and appearance in all elements of the work undertaken at QIS
To promote the highest aspirations and expectations for all students and staff, encouraging them all to reach beyond their potential
To promote inspirational and engaging learning
Job Description & Specific Duties:
- To lead, manage and develop staff to ensure that the school’s organisation, curriculum, and resources enable everyone to achieve the highest possible standards.
- To ensure the highest possible standards of education through the promotion of effective teaching and learning, a balanced curriculum, the provision of excellent pastoral care and support for students and a rich extra-curricular programme.
- To lead and direct all members of staff and students, through the direct management of the PLT, ensuring that effective responsibility is delegated through an appropriate management structure, and that the school complies with educational and other relevant legislation, including health and safety.
- To be responsible for promoting the aims and values of the school and ensure effective communications with all stakeholders, including the School Board, staff, pupils, parents, the community served by the school, the Ministry of Education and any other relevant national or international agencies.
- To be responsible for clinical school self-evaluation, strategic improvement planning and effective implementation.
- To attend meetings with the Principal, SMT and School Board, providing regular reports on school developments and activities and consult with the Principal and School Board wherever appropriate, for example in the formulation of development plans.
- To keep abreast of changes in government policy (both UK and Qatari) and wider educational practices, and to be accountable for the effectiveness, efficiency and quality outcomes of all aspects of the school, including financial and human resources, pupil behaviour and discipline, educational and support services, and marketing and communications.
- Alongside the Principal, to lead the shaping of the school’s future and ensure that everyone is enabled to contribute effectively to the progress and development of the school.
- To support the busy and varied life of the school, attending its events and wider programme of activities.
- To ensure that child protection and safeguarding of students are given high priority at all times.
- To Ensure that you and your staff upkeep the good reputation of QIS in their professional and personal conduct
- To raise standards of pupil attainment and achievement, ensuring all students in the primary school pupils make at least good progress within their timetabled Subject(s) and to monitor and support pupil progress.
- Plan, prepare and teach timetabled classes as appropriate, organising resources, assessing students, keeping records and reporting on timetabled subject(s) in accordance with the QIS policy and procedures.
- To actively promote the school vision and aims
- To be an exemplar of all school policies
- To ensure appropriate support and interventions are in place, as necessary, to secure effective teaching and learning
- To be accountable for the Primary Budget
Conditions of employment
- The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties, responsibilities and conditions contained in the full contract of employment.
- To uphold the school’s policy in respect of child protection and safeguarding matters.
- The post holder is required to support and encourage the school’s ethos and its objectives, policies and procedures as agreed by the Principal and School Board.
- The post holder will be subject to all relevant requirements as detailed in the School’s most recent Pay and other Policies.
- This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent on carrying them out and no part of it may be so constructed.
- This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It will be reviewed at least once a year and it may be subject to modification at any time after consultation with the post holder.
- All staff members are required to participate in the school’s appraisal scheme.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from their line manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
VISION STATEMENT 2017-2022
The ‘ABC’ of Qatar International School- “Aspiring to Excellence; Building Futures; Celebrating Diversity.”
The ABC of Qatar International School is a motto that underpins all the work carried out at QIS that will lead us to becoming not just the best school in Qatar but one of the best international schools in the world. Through high quality teaching and learning we will establish ourselves at the heart of our community locally, nationally and internationally. QIS will be recognised for its excellent work in all areas of international education and for its focus on ‘learning comes first.’ Everyone who belongs to QIS is a learner. The only distinction is where each of us is at on our learning journey. In order to achieve this we will strive to become:
- An outstanding and inspirational education provider where each and every learner will be challenged and given the opportunity to flourish and develop beyond their potential. All learners will aspire to excellence and in so doing will be supported fully by a school that caters creatively for all needs and abilities.
- A safe, caring and secure school where every person matters. We will be recognised for the outstanding nature of our care, guidance and support to staff, students and parents. Quality mentoring and coaching will be available to all, underpinning our investment in people and their own personal development.
- An organisation where quality learning comes first, through creative and engaging activities, lessons and relationships. Fundamental learning skills and competencies amongst all students and staff will be a key foundation to developing life-long learning, transferable to all lessons and situations. Everyone, adults and students alike, is on a learning journey which has been personalised, routed and mapped out just for them. This will be evidenced by an innovative professional development programme and forward looking curriculum, which will empower all learners and encourage them to be active, independent participants in the learning process.
- A school where students’ thoughtful behaviour is the outstanding contributory factor to their successful learning. Positive behaviours are recognised, encouraged and rewarded in support of the QIS ethos. This will be modelled and exemplified by all stakeholders to ensure others do the same.
- An international community of learners where achievement, attainment, progress and development are valued and celebrated in a ‘can do’ culture. All forms of prejudice are challenged whilst risk-taking and mistakes are viewed as a necessary part of the improvement process. Aspiration and ambition are the norm and high expectations are met with pride and enthusiasm.
- A centre of excellence and specialism for the English curriculum in an international context. A school where standards, rigour and accountability are used positively and constructively to improve the learning community for everyone, ensuring that QIS will stand comparison with the very best schools in the UK and around the world.
Our Core Values are:
- Caring for each other in a safe environment
- Respect and equality for all
- Working together to learn better
- Equipping people for life
- Taking pleasure and enjoyment in learning
- Being healthy, happy and feeling valued
Please send your application to recruitment @qis.org
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://recruitment @qis.org →